Robert (Robbie) Gayhart is a resident of the Burlington/Hebron area of Boone County, Kentucky. He founded Practical Defensive Training, LLC in 2013 and teaches Kentucky, Ohio and Florida Concealed Carry Classes as pistol and carbine skills. In 2014, he started competing in International Defensive Pistol Association competitions and maintains a “SHARPSHOOTER” classification. In January 2017, Robbie began a new challenge; competing in the sport of 3-Gun, where skills in Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun disciplines are tested.
- Kentucky CCDW Instructor, Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training #6312
- (note: this credential was allowed to expire as the curriculum required by DOCJT was lacking in the quality my students deserved… our current curriculum is approved by the KY State Police and is unmatched in quality within the state of KY)
- United States Concealed Carry Association Instructor #601252
- NRA Life Member
- NRA Basic Pistol Instructor #193097692
- NRA Firearm Safety in the Home Instructor
- NRA Range Safety Officer
- Borrowing from my friends at Haley Strategic, Train thinker’s first and then shooters.
- Tools in situational awareness and conflict avoidance are of paramount importance and must be taught to students as part of any defensive curriculum. The best fight is one you can avoid.
- When teaching, it is not enough to teach how to do an action, it is important to convey why we do an action. Biomechanics, logic and data matter.
- Moral philosophy must be addressed in equivalence to laws and regulations.
- When a critical incident is unavoidable, a powerful mindset to WIN the fight is necessary. One cannot simply “hope” to survive.
- Students must be prepared for what comes after the critical incident, physically, psychologically and legally.
- Instructors should not teach beyond competency level. This has the propensity to get someone killed. If you cannot perform the task yourself, you should not teach the task.
- Instructors should never stop learning. An instructor who invests in his or her own education/training only increases their credibility.
Training Courses Personally Taken:
- Defensive Handgun Training, LLC – Kentucky DOCJT Concealed Carry Permit Course – 2012
- Defensive Handgun Training, LLC – Kentucky DOCJT Concealed Carry Instructor Course – 2013
- Defensive Handgun Training, LLC – NRA Basic Instructor, Pistol Instructor, Home Firearm Safety Instructor and Rand Range Safety Officer Courses – 2013
- Defensive Handgun Training, LLC – Handgun Tactics 1 -2013
- Defensive Handgun Training, LLC – Handgun Tactics 2 -2014
- Defensive Handgun Training, LLC – Tactical Rifle 1-2014
- Grossman University – “On Combat” Course – Lt. Col. (ret) Dave Grossman – 2015
- Defensive Handgun Training, LLC – United Sates Concealed Carry Association Instructor Certification Course – 2016
- Cincinnati State College – Basic Emergency Casualty Care – 2016
- Gary Quesenberry/Q-Series – NACCI Handgun Instructor Development Class – 2017
- Haley Strategic Partners – D5 Carbine – 2017
- Cincinnati State College – Active Shooter (Killer) Awareness – 2018
- Shooting-Performance – Defensive Handgun Level 1 – Mike Seeklander – 2019
- Shooting-Performance – Mastering the Handgun G.T.S. (Grip, Trigger, Sights) – Mike Seeklander – 2021
- Handgun Combatives – Essential Pistol – Dave Spaulding – July 2021
- Attending in September 2021 – Competition Handgun Level 1 – Mike Seeklander
Robbie’s Favorite Defensive Gear:
- Sig Sauer P229R Legion 9mm Pistol
- Heckler and Koch VP9 9mm Pistol
- Bravo Company Jack Carbine – (Travis Haley model)
- Inforce WML Light
- Aimpoint T-2 Micro Red Dot on a Scalarworks LDM Mount
- Smith and Wesson Revolver – 340PD 357 magnum
- Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9 mm
- Microtech Ultratech T/E “Out the Front” Auto-knife
- Cold Steel Folding Knives (Recon 1 – Tanto Blade – Combo Edge)
- Benchmade Fixed Blade Knives (Nimravus – Tanto Blade – Combo Edge)
- Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA Mini-flashlight or SOG Dark Energy Tactical Flashlight
- JM Custom Kydex Wing Claw 2.5 Appendix Inside the Waste-band Holsters
- G-Code and Raven Concealment Outside the Waistband Holsters and Mag-Carriers