Our first Handgun Skill Building class was a great success!… so we have decided to teach it again in November!
Handgun Skill Building – Level 1
This is a full day on a great OUTDOOR range, working on handgun skills beyond what was taught in your basic
Class will take place on November 9th from 8:30 am to 5:30pm
This class covers the foundational skills needed to be a competent handgun shooter; and prepares students to seek further training; as well as enhance each person’s ability to defend themselves with their handgun, should the need occur.
At the conclusion of this course, you will understand the essential skills covered in this course (listed below), be able to articulate why each of these skills are important and be able to enact a purposeful practice plan to continually improve after they leave this course.
The instructors we are top notch! Each and every one is a professional, certified instructor from the NRA, USCCA, FLETC or another professional organization. All of us are dedicated to teaching a SAFE class. You will receive individual attention from a wonderful staff!
- Eye and Ear Protection
- 500 rounds of ammunition
- Minimum 3 Magazines, if capacity is less than 10 rounds, it is recommended to bring 5-6 magazines
- Holster made for the handgun student is to use – We will not allow SERPA type holsters or collapsible holsters (Nylon, suede, sticky) in class
- Magazine Carrier is highly recommended (though students can work from pockets if necessary)
- A sturdy belt which anchors the gun/holster/mag carriers in place
- Close toed shoes
- Brimmed hats are recommended
- Pen/Pencil and Notebook to take notes
- Foldable Camp Chairs (We will have a shade tent, but you will want something to sit on)
- Sunblock is highly recommended
- Pack drinks, snacks and lunch – we will be taking a short break for lunch, but not enough time for you to leave the range facility
- Baseline Assessment
- Gear Selection (Handgun, Holster, Mag Carriers, Belts)
- Fundamentals (Grip, Stance, Sights, Trigger Manipulation)
- Slow fire – Precision Practice, Multiple Distances
- Drawing the handgun from the holster (Clean, Concealed)
- Balance of Speed and Accuracy
- Malfunctions (misfire, stovepipe, double-feed)
- Reloads – Emergency and Proactive
- Firing from Retention, close and intermediate ranges
- Transitioning between multiple targets
- The difference between cover and concealment
- Shooting around barriers (pie-ing corners)
- Basics of shooting on the move (transitioning into static positions, during movement)